Last 4 First Teams Results
Normanton Knights 30 v Myton Warriors 36
Milford Marlins 48 v Normanton Knights 6
Normanton Knights 56 v Millom 22
Normanton Knights 20 v Oldham St Annes 46
Normanton Knights History
Normanton has a long well respected history of rugby. The first club was established in 1879. Its headquarters and changing rooms were at the Midland Hotel; it recruited 50 members in the first year.
In 1893 Normanton were one of fourteen founding members of the Yorkshire Rugby Unions Intermediate Competitions, which was division three of the Yorkshire League. Two of the most prominent clubs at the time were Keighley and Hull KR, so Normanton were of quite high standing.
Following the split in rugby union in 1895 the vast majority of rugby clubs in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria went over to rugby league within the next five years. Normanton joined in May 1898, after making a profit of just £19.00 in their last season in rugby union. They helped to form the east section of the Yorkshire Second Competition along with Hull KR, York, Goole, Eastmoor, Ripon, Rothwell, Outwood Parish Church, Kinsley and Featherstone.
The 1899 – 90 season was their best ever, they won the Yorkshire Second Competition and even beat Leeds in the Challenge Cup before going down to Batley.
In 1902 – 03 they were admitted to the second division of the Rugby League, finishing 12th, 17th, last, and 10th in the three seasons that the three divisions operated at that time. In 1905 – 06 there was only one division and Normanton finished 26th out of 31.
In 1906 financial difficulties caused the club to close, the NU allowed Millom and Normanton to cancel their game because of the cost of travelling. However not everyone was willing to give up, a new club was formed with many of the players from the old club. The new club Hopetown Rovers played on Normanton Common their headquarters at the Huntsman Inn. They became members of the Wakefield and Dewsbury District League.
Normanton has had an unbroken record of rugby (apart from the two world wars) from this early start.
Normantonian Jim Crossley held the Rugby League Challenge Cup High when he played for Castleford.
The Good Hope Rangers RLFC played in the Wakefield and District Intermediate League.
Mr. W Fallowfield Secretary of the Rugby League purchased the St John's Field on a mortgage understanding with the club on behalf of the Rugby League.
In the early sixties Normanton only had two junior teams u17's and U19's. No fewer than 17 players had gained representative honours and 4 players had turned pro. Plans to re-start an open age team were in the pipeline.
Normanton Grammar School took part in a public school seven a side competition at Roehampton. They confounded all their critics by winning the trophy for two years running. Their PE teacher was called Alan Jubb, a former Wakefield Trinity player.
Normanton A.R.L.F.C had managed to raise £260.00, well below the £1700.00 needed for a drainage scheme at the St John’s ground. They now also had a U20's side.
Normanton Knights was formed in the early eighties with the building by Clayton and Bowmore of changing rooms and the largest bath found in any Amateur Club. The club started with 5 team's 15's, 17's, 19's and two open age team's. The clubhouse was built about 7 years ago with help from Carlsberg Tetley. Many thanks should be given to sponsors such as Normanton Brick and H. Harrison & Son who helped Normanton for more than 15 years, without the help of people such as these many things could not have been achieved.
From the small start of 5 teams Normanton Knights now boasts 2 open age teams the 1st team playing in the 2nd Division of the National Conference League and the 2nd team in the Y.A.R.L. , U16's to U18's National youth sides and 8 junior team's about 175 children in all, to add to this the club also had a troupe of 30 cheerleaders which was started in 1999 by four of the u15’s parents to give the girls of the area an interest.